Do you love working with kids?
Are you looking for worthy cause?
Do you have a spare hour?
We may be the place for you!
Banaadir Academy is seeking adult volunteers to participate in our Reading Buddy program. Tutors will meet with our students one-on-one and spend time with the student reading aloud to them, as well as working with the student on basic reading strategies. We can work with you and your schedule to find a time slot that works for you. We will provide books, reading materials and guidance. Serious inquiries only.
• Volunteers will be given the opportunity to develop a meaningful relationship with a child by assisting that child in developing an essential skill in today’s society.
• Volunteers are invited to engage their creativity and innovation to facilitate learning literacy skills.
• Volunteers will receive relevant experience for careers in education, childcare, and literacy related fields.
• Knowing that your time and energy are making a difference in a child’s life.
Orientation and Training:
• Volunteers will attend an orientation where they will meet teachers and go over tutor expectations.
• Supplemental materials will be made available concerning reading skills and dealing with children’s varying ages and backgrounds.
• The volunteer coordinator will be available to discuss and to address any concerns.
• The coordinator will conduct regular check-ins and provide continual support.
Volunteer Tutors must enjoy spending time with children, be 18-years or older, have basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), and be able to read, write, and speak English. You do not need to be a teacher or have previous tutoring experience! Volunteers need to be able to spend at least one hour per week until the end of the school year (June 6th 2013) and attend a mandatory orientation and tutor training (usually 20-30 minutes in length) before volunteer work begins.
We are a free K-8 charter school connected to MTS (Minneapolis Transitions Charter School). Located in North Minneapolis, our school is focused on serving 300+ East African students in our community. Our desire is for our students to be provided with an environment that is safe, caring, and conducive to learning. Since we have many English learners, our ELL staff strives to provide instruction for academic and linguistic competence. We also offer free Arabic lessons to all of our students from kindergarten to fifth grade.
Email email@example.com or call (612) 928-2496