You can access your U of M email and calendar using the Safari web browser on the iPad, but it’s much easier and faster to use the iPad Mail and Calendar apps located on the dock of the iPad. In order to configure these apps, you must first set up a Google Desktop/Mobile Password. This is an additional password associated with your Internet ID (x.500 username). You will use this mobile password for configuring mobile devices/apps to work with your U of M Google account.
Create your Google Desktop/Mobile Client Password:
- Go to https://www.umn.edu/dirtools.
- Enter Internet ID (x.500 username) and password.
- Click Set or Change Your Google Desktop/Mobile Client Password under Passwords/Security.
- Follow on-screen instructions:
- Password must follow the same rules as regular University passwords. (Consider adding a “g” to the front of your Internet ID or x.500 password.)
- Enter current Internet password.
- Enter new Google desktop/mobile client password.
- Re-enter Google desktop/mobile client password.
- Remember this password!
Configure the iPad to access your U of M email and calendar:
- Go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Add Account…
- Select Gmail.
- Fill in the fields:
- Name: your name.
- Address: full email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Password: Google desktop/mobile client password (NOT your Internet ID or x.500 password).
- Description: enter a description of the account (i.e., UMN Email).
- Hit Next.
- It may take 15 minutes or more to activate your new password.
- Select which items to sync with the device and hit Done.